OPEN ENROLLMENT!! Know of anyone who is moving to DC or even the springs? DCSD open enrollment is now here. We are having our first OPEN HOUSE for incoming kindergarten and new students 1/17, 4:30-6:30. I am also holding coffee talks and new family tours every Friday at 9:30. I am so excited to meet new families and show them why we are the best school in DCSD.
*2016-2017 Apple Awards are open! The Douglas County Educational Foundation encourages you to nominate an Educator(s), School Employee(s) and/or Administrator(s) that you believe deserves to be an Apple Award Representative. As you make your nomination, please consider your nominee's performance beyond his/her area of expertise and how they advance the four (4) priorities of Douglas County School District’s Strategic Plan: Safety, Choice, World Class Education, and System Performance. Click here to nominate
**State Mandated Testing Information
PURPOSE AND VALUE OF STATE ASSESSMENTS
PARCC/CMAS are the only common measuring tool in Colorado for students in third- through ninth-grade. Measuring real-world skills like problem-solving and critical thinking, the tests are aligned to classroom work so teachers do not have to “teach to the test.” While CMAS assessments are only one measure of student learning, having all Colorado students take this set of assessments provides parents with answers to these important questions:
• How well is my child doing on meeting state standards compared to other students?
• Which schools and districts perform best in preparing students for success in meeting the state standards?
• Which districts have the best performance on the state standards for children with special needs?
• What schools and districts have the best performance on the state standards for children of color?
Additionally, state assessment results provide:
• information educators need to help improve instruction.
• identification of districts and schools that have struggling students, so help can be provided.
• recognition of high performing systems so others may learn from them.
**Please CLICK HERE for more information about State Mandated Assessments. We encourage everyone to allow their student(s) to participate in State Mandated Assessments, but if you choose to opt your student(s) out, please follow the process on our website link above by December 15, 2016. If you choose to opt out of state testing your student will sit in the office with a book during testing sessions.
Tuesday 1/10- Spelling Bee 9:30-10:30
Friday 1/13- NO SCHOOL (DCSD PD day)
Monday 1/16- NO SCHOOL (MLK)
Tuesday 1/17- OPEN HOUSE, Incoming students to LES 4:30-6:30
Monday 1/23- Business Open House 5:30-7:30
Thursday 1/26- PTO 6:00
Tuesday 1/31- SAC 6:00
As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to discuss any burning questions you have, volunteer in our school or just stop by to say hi! Thank you for all you do to make LES the most amazing school in DCSD. Have a wonderful and safe weekend!
Jen Oldham, Principal